Oceanic Preservation Society often receives requests from supporters of our organization inquiring about their ability to raise money for OPS. Past requests have included charitable fundraising programs by students, individuals doing charity walks or hikes, or individuals who were moved by our work and who just want to help us raise funds. Such independent fundraising activities are possible and greatly appreciated. The following is background information on OPS and how that independent fundraising should be conducted:
- OPS has received 501(c)(3) non-profit status from the Internal Revenue Service.
- Oceanic Preservation Society is compromised of two separate entities - a 501(c)(3) public charity and a 501(c)(3) private foundation (The OPS Foundation). Both entities are registered with the State of Colorado.
- Contributions are automatically made to the public charity
- If you would like to make a donation to the private foundation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Donations from individuals in the form of cash or check can be tax deductible to the donor as a charitable income tax deduction.
- Donations in the form of checks is preferable to donations in cash.
- If a fundraiser is soliciting funding, then any checks should be written to Oceanic Preservation Society, rather than to the fundraiser.
- The fundraising group should indicate that they are merely selecting OPS as their charity of choice for this specific fundraising activity and that the fundraiser is not officially associated with OPS.